Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Modern Movement Block for April


It's my turn to present a BOM project.  I chose this one because it features my favorite way to make HSTs.  The tutorial for the Modern Movement Block can be found here, and I didn't need to make any alterations.

I made three versions, the first is per the tutorial.


The second version still has movement but it's different.


My third version is very static.  I started with 7" squares, trimmed the HST to 4.5 inches, and used 6.5 inch squares to cut the corner triangles.  I missed my goal by a bit, so I added some height to the top and width to the sides, and trimmed it up to 12.5 inches.



The normal rules apply:

  • Make one or more block each month to donate to our Charity Quilt effort
  • Use good quality fabric, not from big box stores.  Fabric can be a solid or a print.
  • Avoid batiks and Civil War type reproduction fabrics if possible.
  • Use White or a low volume print for the background fabric.
  • All finished blocks will be 12.5 inches.


If you want to make a variation of this block, here's a couple charts you can use:




Here is a quilt I made several years ago using a variation of this block.




May your bobbins always be full,

Jan

2 comments:

  1. I love your quilt! I'm going to work on this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. I really hated to give it away, but you know how it goes.

      Delete